Our favorite projects are those that fuse design and technology to create something entirely new. As an experienced designer, this intersection is where you’ll live. Your work will not be limited to interface design, branding, or art direction. Rather, you’ll work across teams to design products that turn complex problems into simple, effective solutions.
You will morph between designer, mentor, visionary, client advocate, and leader, as you shape our design team's culture and drive it's aesthetic evolution - acting as a catalyst for the creative energy at Smashing Boxes.
Your typical week might include:
- Using your craft to make a difference in people’s lives
- Collaborating on products that change the way our clients do business
- Creating flow diagrams, wireframes, prototypes and detailed visual design
- Having someone give you a shout out for doing great work
We work with people from non-traditional backgrounds because it helps us to think differently. Ultimately, you will be hired for the unique perspective and experiences you bring to our team. Our ideal candidate will have…
- 2+ years of experience
- Experience designing digital products across varied users, business problems, and devices (websites, digital interfaces, web applications, native mobile apps, and more)
- A strong knowledge of established UI/UX patterns (and when to break them)
- Proficient in creating experience maps, user journeys, interaction models, flows, and wireframes
- Proficient with rapid prototyping methods, ranging from paper sketching to digital prototypes
- Proficiency in Sketch, Illustrator, Photoshop, Invision, etc
- Knowledge of HTML/CSS standards and a deep understanding of the browser’s impact on design
- Understands and effectively contributes to the overall design process (research, concepting, design, build, measurement)
- Knowledge of and experience with driving and applying user-centered design processes
- Comfortable giving and receiving constructive feedback as part of continuous design iteration and improvement
- Strong conceptual thinking and problem solving skills
- A desire and ability to communicate our design and brand vision to the company and community at large
- Enthusiasm, curiosity, and a passion for good design
- A desire to mentor and inspire other designers
- Produce high-quality design work within the context of a project for the purpose of supporting client business and strategic goals and promoting design thinking internally and with the client.
- Execute on strategic and tactical direction of a Senior Designer in support of project goals and vision.
- Assist in fostering a deep partnership between the Design Department and other production teams.
Creativity and innovation are fueled by a little R&R. We value work-life balance above all else and bake it right in with benefits like:
- 10 paid holidays (includes your birthday off!)
- 15 days of paid vacation accrued your first year, 20 days after three years, and 25 days after five
We are a family and families take care of each other. We prove it with benefits like:
- Health and dental coverage with 100% of employee premiums paid by Smashing Boxes
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Three months fully paid maternity leave; one month fully paid paternity leave
- Flexible work schedule including work from home options
Plus we've got all the basics covered; and then some:
- Simple IRA with 3% company match
- Coffee, snacks, beer on tap from local breweries
- Innovation time every Friday afternoon
- Ongoing learning opportunities and support