We are looking for an analytical and creative Senior UX/UI Designer, Principal who will lead our team to design simple and intuitive experiences that meet user goals and bring ideas to life visually. Our favorite projects are those that fuse design and technology to create something entirely new. As an experienced designer, this intersection is where you’ll live. Your work will not be limited to interface design, user experience, branding or visual design. Rather, you’ll work across teams and with clients to design products that turn complex problems into simple, effective solutions. You will morph between designer, mentor, client advocate, and leader, as you shape our design team's culture and drive its aesthetic evolution - acting as a catalyst for the creative energy at Smashing Boxes.
We work with people from non-traditional backgrounds because it helps us to think differently. Ultimately, you will be hired for the unique perspective and experiences you bring to our team. Our ideal candidate will have…
- 7+ Years of Experience in UX/ UI and Design, including Team Lead experience.
- Experience designing digital products across varied users, business problems, and devices (websites, digital interfaces, web applications, native mobile apps, and more).
- Understanding of and effective contribution to driving and applying UX/UI design processes, not limited to experience maps, user journeys, interaction models, flows, wireframes, rapid prototyping methods (ranging from paper sketching to digital prototypes).
- Strong communication, presentation and facilitation skills, both internally and client facing.
- A desire to mentor and inspire other designers as well as comfort in giving / receiving constructive feedback as part of continuous design iteration and improvement.
- Proficiency in design tools (ie Sketch, Illustrator, Photoshop, Invision, etc), knowledge of HTML/CSS standards, and a deep understanding of the browser’s impact on design.
- Ability to think strategically long term and on the fly - leading while also working on something unsolved as well as capable of working “under the hood.”
- A desire and ability to communicate our design and brand vision to the company and community at large.
- Enthusiasm, curiosity, and a passion for great design.
- Produce high-quality UX/UI and design work within the context of a project for the purpose of supporting client business and strategic goals and promoting design internally and with the client.
- Have deep involvement in all aspects of discovery for design within projects: research, inspiration gathering, brainstorm, strategy defining, concept development, prototyping, etc.
- Support the Growth team in estimates, demos, workshops and proposals and increase awareness among potential clients and employees in the local market.
- Lead and provide direction to other designers within the context of a project.
- Provide active and passive mentorship, professional development, and discipline mastery opportunities to department personnel.
- Support hiring process through proactive engagement of design community, portfolio review, and leading of interviews.
- Engage with the design and entrepreneur communities via spoken and written content in support of company awareness and other company initiatives.
Creativity and innovation are fueled by a little R&R. We value work-life balance above all else and bake it right in with benefits like:
- 10 paid holidays (includes your birthday off!)
- 15 days of paid vacation accrued your first year, 20 days after three years, and 25 days after five
We are a family and families take care of each other. We prove it with benefits like:
- Health and dental coverage with 100% of employee premiums paid by Smashing Boxes
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Three months fully paid maternity leave; one month fully paid paternity leave
- Flexible work schedule including work from home options
Plus we've got all the basics covered; and then some:
- Simple IRA with 3% company match
- Coffee, snacks, beer on tap from local breweries
- Innovation time every Friday afternoon
- Ongoing learning opportunities and support