The Senior Software Architect is responsible for delivering solutions to complex technical problems, overseeing the development team, ensuring the quality of technical deliverables on projects. An effective Senior Software Architect fully groks the client’s vision and works closely with software engineers to turn it into reality.
The Senior Software Architect must conduct research, gather information, provide estimates, interpret data, and then help plan and architect solutions. He/she will lead the development team, working closely with the project management team to ensure the best possible experience for our clients, all while maintaining best practices in product and software development. Additionally, the Tech Lead will be able to diagnose and recommend improvements to poor quality software, and be able to course correct projects that are not going well. He/she serves as a mentor and technical leader for the engineering team(s) in the design, development and implementation of solutions.
Your typical responsibilities might include:
- Understanding project requirements to establish accurate estimates and clear development plans for projects.
- Ensuring that adequate requirements are gathered from the client and project questions are answered on behalf of the engineers on the project team.
- Assisting project managers in preparing appropriate work-breakdown structures, given the project requirements, including the creation of effective and actionable user stories.
- Providing LOE (level of effort) estimate guidance at every phase of engagement. This includes T-shirt sizing during the sales cycle and project planning phase and assisting with story points during sprint planning.
- Serving as the main engineering point of contact between the client and our engineering team. Working with the Project Management team to identify project risks and plan mitigation action.
- Ensuring projects have a clear plan of attack from day one with application architecture and risks clearly identified. Ensure everyone understands what they are expected to do in order to succeed, increase productivity and reduce waste.
- Evaluating technical processes and procedures, and implement improvements as necessary. Shepherding efficiency and value through the entire project lifecycle.
- Clearly communicating any technical issues or blockers encountered by the engineering team(s) during the course of the project and support the team in delivering solutions in these instances.
- Facilitating innovation in solving problems and technical challenges.
We have a few core requirements, they are:
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (or equivalent); Master of Science degree in Computer Science preferred.
- Deep and current programming experience in at least one of the following technology stacks: Java, MEAN, .NET, Ruby on Rails.
- Proven experience as a technical software architect.
- Deep understanding of software engineering design patterns and best practices.
- Deep experience with CI/CD (continuous integration / continuous delivery) and related tools.
- Proven experience with a tier 1 cloud platform: AWS, Azure, GCP, etc.
- Proven experience with containerization: Docker, Kubernetes, etc.
- Experienced with implementing solutions with a team.
- Ability to define and set expectations.
- Excellent problem-solving ability, including an ability to tackle difficult large-scale problems
- Proven experience overseeing personnel, fostering collaboration across disciplines and departments and managing the daily challenges of a technical environment.
- Success demonstrating a high degree of adaptability in learning new software / technologies and implementing solutions.
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate to technical as well as non-technical stakeholders.
Creativity and innovation are fueled by a little R&R. We value work-life balance above all else and bake it right in with benefits like:
- 10 paid holidays (includes your birthday off!)
- 15 days of paid vacation accrued your first year, 20 days after three years, and 25 days after five
We are a family and families take care of each other. We prove it with benefits like:
- Health and dental coverage with 100% of employee premiums paid by Smashing Boxes
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Paid bonding leave for new parents
- Flexible work schedule including one-day-a-week work from home option
Plus we've got all the basics covered; and then some:
- Simple IRA with 3% company match
- Coffee, snacks, beer on tap from local breweries
- Innovation time every Friday afternoon
- Ongoing learning opportunities and support